Monday, January 26, 2009

The Road to Procrastination Never Leads to a Good Destination.

The Road to Procrastination Never Leads to a Good Destination


When I first heard these words, I mentally filed them away with all the other great “sayings” I hear, thinking to myself… Yes, that’s true… I’ll have to really think about that… LATER

Well Later is generally too late and tomorrow never comes, by then it is today!

So, let’s see.. Has Procrastination ever led me to a good destination?

When I procrastinated on dropping off a catalog for my business to the office near me, and then a week later walked in to find out that someone else had beat me to it now. Darn.. guess that girl got lucky.

When I was sure those airline tickets to LA would go down, and had to pay an extra $150 four hours later to book my flight. Gee, those airlines are fickle.

When I lost that traffic ticket and found it buried in pile of papers 6 weeks later, and my $75 ticket now cost me $225. Those traffic cops… don’t they have anything better to do, ..like catch Criminals?

When I ate that piece of cherry pie and said.. I really will start my diet tomorrow, then stepped on the scale and found I was up 10 pounds over the last two weeks instead of down.. C’mon on… my scale Must be broken

When I meant to call that prospect back and finally found of paper I had written it on, two weeks later, and he isn’t interested any longer. People, what’s with them anyways?

Catch a common thread? Have you ever had a similar experience?

Why do we procrastinate?

· Bad Time Management
· Fear of Failure
· Fear of Success
· Not sure we know enough about a subject
· Laziness
· Easily Distracted
· Low Self Esteem

Just to name a few.

Procrastination almost always costs us something.
Costs in Time, Money, Relationships, Self Image.

So how do we stop this cycle and break free? Break free to start building happy, exciting, productive lives for ourselves both personally and in our business?

There are a million articles and books about this, but I’m going to suggest one very simple, baby step.

Do the One.

What is the ONE THING that would make the most difference in:

Your Health?
Your Marriage?
Your Finances?
Your Business?
Your Relationships?


Here’s a personal example that worked for me.

JUST FOLD 5.

I finally started this when I went down to the laundry room and found that the pile of clean laundry on the table was higher than my head. Just a little procrastination? You bet!
I mean, which of us doesn’t have a million more important things to do than fold laundry? Except of course when we need those clean socks, then try to match them from a 6 foot pile!

So, I made myself a deal. JUST FOLD 5.

Each time I went down to the laundry room, I would fold 5. That’s all I was required to do. No biggie, I can do that in about 1 minute. But it was amazing. I finished the 5 and then, actually, folded some more. And the job got done. Finally. Now, every time I go downstairs, I fold 5. Sometimes more. Sometimes just 5. Sometimes I actually catch myself arguing with myself about the simple task of folding 5 towels! But I passed the test. I CAN FOLD AT LEAST 5 ! And that makes me a winner in my little game.
Guys, maybe you don't fold the laundry. Maybe you have an overflowing recycling box next to your desk, or a light bulb out that you've been being nagged to change. Maybe it's laundry.

So, what else can we do?

What’s the one thing that YOU can do in each of those areas above that would make the most difference? Doesn’t have to be anything big. It can be making one phone call to an customer to set up delivery. Taking the dog for a 5 minute walk. Returning the blockbuster video to avoid fees, even though you drove by there 6 times already this weekend.

Making the appointment for your physical. Picking up milk the next time you stop at the gas station. Filing away the credit card you used for holiday purchases (even when you knew you shouldn’t) that is still in your wallet 30 days later. Placing one classified ad for just $5.00 to grow your business. Folding 5 things.

For the next 30 days, agree with yourself, and with me to DO THE ONE.

Pick 1 item from each of the 5 above, or add a category if you must, but don’t overdo! Remember, we are taking baby steps.

Each night write down the one thing you must do in each of those areas before you go on to do all the other urgent and important things in your life.

(Hint, put this pad of paper by your bathroom sink where you brush your teeth – you HAVE to go there anyways. Putting it on the kitchen table, office desk, etc may cause you to actually procrastinate from just going into the room for fear you’ll see the note! Our subconscious is a powerful procrastinator!)

Then, each morning, DO THE ONE.

Fold the 5.
Make the call.
Pay the bill.

Just try it for 30 days and let me know how it goes.
You can do it, just taking that little action will make all the difference in your life by the end of the 30 days.

DO THE ONE. Do it , really, now.

Here’s to Your Success!

Sue Mazza,
CEO , SuccessfulYou, Inc.





No comments: